Duke is actively monitoring the local and global status of the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 disease. Duke has taken proactive steps to minimize health and safety risks to students, faculty, staff and the larger community. Duke has ceased all group gatherings and has transitioned these activities to online environments. One of those gatherings includes your New Hire Orientation program.
The information you need to know as a new Duke University employee will now be delivered as a three-part virtual course online via WebEx and through our Learning Management System (LMS). After your manager registers you for your virtual orientation, you will receive emails with further instructions on how and when to participate.
If you are reporting to your workplace as you begin your new job (not working from home), the most important action for you is to monitor your own health. If you find yourself feeling unwell before your first day of work, do not arrive sick. Please alert your manager and also contact your medical provider.
Congratulations on your new position, and welcome to Duke! We are delighted to have you join our team.
- Duke Learning & Organization Development
Before New Staff Orientation
- Review the New Staff Orientation website.
- Benefits packets are distributed at the New Staff Orientation session. The Benefits team will review your options, and there will be time for questions and for signing up for benefits. We strongly recommend that you start reviewing your benefits options online before your Orientation session.
After New Staff Orientation
- Follow-up with your manager about your New Staff Orientation experience.
- Ask your manager about your department orientation, and let them know if you have any questions about the orientation process.
- Review the Staff Handbook with your manager and sign the agreement on page 48. You will receive the original signed agreement and a copy will be placed in your personnel file.
- Before you complete your first 30 days, please be sure to sign up for the necessary Duke benefits.
If you have any questions about the new staff orientation process, please contact Learning and Organization Development at 919-613-7613.