Download sample documents under Tools & Templates to create your own personalized version of recruiting letters, forms, and candidate assessment tools.
Review the existing job description or work with Human Resources to develop a comprehensive description that is based on the essential and preferred competencies of the position which you are seeking to fill. The goal of the recruitment process is to define clearly the nature of the position and then seek the ideal candidate.
Competencies are the knowledge, skills, abilities, personal characteristics, and other person-based factors that help distinguish superior performance from average performance under specified circumstances. Competencies provide a focus for integrating human capital strategy with business strategy, adding quality-of-work-performance value to the whole organization.
Competency-based job descriptions:
- Identify requirements for and possession of competencies on individual, team, unit and other bases.
- Close any competency gaps through effective selection and/or just-in-time training.
- Reward and reinforce performance through the compensation system.
- Fix employee attention on key business goals and values, such as increased market share and improved customer service.
- Foster versatility, which helps employees meet diverse work-business requirements.
- Foster agility, by which employees creatively apply themselves/resources to job/role demands and quickly adapt to work-business changes.