When Can I Enroll?
Since your premiums for medical, dental and vision insurance and reimbursement accounts are pre-tax, federal law limits when you can change your elections for these benefits.
Changes made outside of the annual Open Enrollment period are allowed only within 30 days of a "qualifying event" such as marriage or divorce, birth or death of a dependent, or a change in insurance eligibility due to relocation of residence or work. For more information on qualifying life events, visit the Life Events website.
Who Can I Enroll?
You can enroll the following dependents for medical, dental and vision insurance:
- Your legal spouse
- Same-sex spousal equivalent registered with Duke HR prior to January 1, 2016
- Your children (includes your biological children, stepchildren, adopted children, children of your registered same-sex spousal equivalent, or foster children) or children for whom you are a legal guardian*, up to their 26th birthday. Dependent children do not include grandchildren, siblings or other family members, or children for whom you have legal custody but not guardianship
- We may request dependent documentation at any time. This documentation includes birth certificates, marriage certificates, and the first page of your tax return
Update Your Personal Information
During the Open Enrollment period, staff and faculty should review and update their personal data and information in the Duke@Work self-service website. Updated contact information helps ensure that you receive benefits communications throughout the year.
How Much Coverage Can I Purchase?
When making your medical, dental, and vision benefit elections, you may choose from among the following levels of coverage:
- Employee/Children – only available for medical and vision insurance**
- Family (includes Spouse)
Your premium for coverage – including your contribution and Duke's contribution – will vary, depending on which level of coverage you select. Premiums for each level of coverage are on page 2.
Social Security Numbers for Dependents
As part of compliance with the Affordable Care Act, Duke must request all employees to confirm or provide Social Security numbers for dependents enrolled in medical coverage.
You can review or add the Social Security numbers for covered dependents through the enrollment process on the Duke@Work self-service website or by calling the Open Enrollment Service Center at (919) 684-5600.
Same-Sex Spousal Equivalent Information
All faculty and staff, regardless of sexual orientation, must be legally married to cover a partner or partner's child for benefits or applicable policies. Same-sex spousal equivalents who were registered with Duke Human Resources prior to January 1, 2016 are eligible for coverage, but will not be able to take advantage of federal and state tax savings for payment of benefit premiums unless legally married or able to claim one's partner as a dependent as defined by the IRS and tax code.
* Legal guardianship obtained outside of NC must meet the NC qualifications.
** Dental care coverage does not include an Employee/Children option. You may cover any number of eligible children in the dental plan by choosing the Family option.