Open Enrollment representatives are available at (919) 684-5600, option #1 during the following times:
- 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. weekdays, October 22 – November 2
- 10 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday, October 27
Need to Find a Provider?
At Find a Network Provider page, you will find:
- A directory of participating health care providers, and
- Mobile apps for our medical plans.
Open enrollment is your opportunity to review your medical, dental, vision, and reimbursement account benefit selections and make any changes necessary to ensure your choices continue to meet your needs.
The enrollment period for this year will be from Oct. 22 - Nov. 2, 2018.
- Decisions to Make During Open Enrollment
- 2019 Plan Highlights and Changes
- What You Need To Know for Open Enrollment 2019
- Open Enrollment 2019 Guide (PDF)
Open Enrollment is the one time of year when benefit eligible employees can enroll in or change their medical, dental and/or vision insurance plans, and enroll in reimbursement accounts. Here’s what you need to decide this year:
- Where will you get health insurance for 2019? The U.S. government has mandated that almost everyone should have health insurance. Most eligible faculty and staff will meet that requirement with coverage through one of Duke’s four plans. Another option is coverage through the federal government in the Health Insurance Marketplace. Learn more at HealthCare.gov.
- Will you cover yourself and/or dependents for dental and vision insurance? Duke offers three different dental plans and a vision plan that covers eye exams, lenses and frames.
- How much would you like to save on taxes? During Open Enrollment, you can sign up to participate in a Health Care Reimbursement Account and/or a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account. Both these accounts allow you to put money aside before taxes to pay for health care costs and child or elder care costs respectively. Because the money is taken out of your paycheck before taxes are calculated, you save about 30 percent of every dollar you put in the accounts.
Remember: If you take no action during Open Enrollment, the selections you made for 2018 for your medical, dental, and vision coverage will continue for 2019. To continue to use a reimbursement account, you must re-enroll for 2019.
Deductions for insurance benefits are paid in advance and will be deducted monthly from your paycheck beginning December 2018. Deductions for reimbursement accounts will start in January 2019.
Duke continues to offer four medical insurance options with modest premium increases (refer to your "My Info" fact sheet included in your open enrollment booklet for premiums).
Under all Duke’s medical plans,
- Co-payment will be waived for most contraceptive drugs (a listing of medications, implants, and IUDs is available here).
- Co-payment will be waived for IUDs, contraceptive implants, tubal ligations, and vasectomies.
- Cigna Behavioral Health now allows video visits for patients seeing a participating in-network provider. The co-pay is the same as an in-person visit.
In support of the Healthy Duke initiative, coverage for breast cancer and colorectal screenings are being enhanced.
Breast Cancer Screening
- Co-payment and deductible will be waived for breast cancer screenings at in-network providers under the Duke Options plan. They are already 100% covered under Duke Select, Duke Basic, and Blue Care.
- Extend 100% coverage for both diagnostic and screening colonoscopies at in-network providers under Duke Options and Blue Care plans. They are already 100% covered under Duke Select and Duke Basic.
- Waive the deductible and coinsurance for Cologuard® colorectal screening, where clinically appropriate, for Duke Options plan. This screening test is already 100% covered under Duke Select, Duke Basic, and Blue Care.
- No change in co-pays, premiums or deductibles for the dental plans.
- As a reminder, if you or a dependent are not currently enrolled for dental coverage through Duke and enroll for 2019, a “late entrant” provision will apply (refer to Your Dental Plan Options for more information).
- No change in co-pays, premiums or deductibles for the vision plan.