Deductible for 2017/18 Academic Year: $3,510.00 per semester
Maximum Tuition Grant Payment for 2017/18 Academic Year: $19,395.00 per semester
Tuition Grant Seminars
We invite you to attend one of our Children's Tuition Grant seminars. A representative from Duke Benefits will discuss eligibility requirements, taxability of benefits, and how to apply for benefits. This seminar will be valuable information to parents with new college bound students. Register now!
The Children's Tuition Grant Program provides a grant for undergraduate tuition expenses incurred by children of eligible employees for full-time study at any accredited college or university. Please note, there is no payable benefit to any of the UNC system schools once the per semester deductible is satisfied.
- Benefits under this program provide tuition grants of up to 75% of the weighted average of Duke tuition, after applying a per semester deductible and other tuition scholarships. If scholarship is not designated toward tuition and not greater than room, board and fees, then scholarship has no impact on the Children's Tuition Grant. Summer Sessions: Two full sessions of summer school are counted as one semester.
- The tuition for NC public colleges and universities is less than the deductible per semester. Therefore, no tuition grant benefit will be paid.
- Each eligible employee may receive up to a maximum of 16 semesters of tuition assistance, no more than eight of which may be used by any one child.
- The program provides a grant for full-time study at the associate or baccalaureate level at any approved, accredited, degree-granting institution of higher education in the world.
- The grant is provided for the pursuit of your child's first undergraduate degree. Second undergraduate degrees and graduate study are not covered.
- Only tuition expenses are eligible for reimbursement. If the scholarship is not designated towards tuition and not greater than room, board, and fees then the scholarship has no impact on payment. See Tuition Grant Examples for more information.
Two earlier plans continue to be available to faculty and senior administrative staff. The first plan, available to these employees hired prior to 1975, provides up to 100% of Duke's tuition and does not limit the number of children eligible. The second plan provides those employees hired between 1975 and 1986 with a benefit of up to $2,500 per child for up to two children with no deductible. Both plans are considered taxable if you meet the IRS definition of a highly compensated employee*.
The benefits that you receive are based upon the plan's official plan documents, not any other written or oral statement. For more information, please see the Summary Plan Description.