The Duke Fitness Club has a variety of facilities to meet the needs of the diverse Duke population. With all of these choices, how do you decide which facility best fits your needs?
Step 1 - Define the criteria most important to you
Consider the following:
- Location, location, location. Let's face it, if you have to go out of your way to get to the gym, you probably won't go regularly. Research shows that those who exercise within 10 miles of work or home tend to stick to their exercise plans and, therefore, see the most results. See the map below for specifics.
- Hours of operation. Make sure the facility is open when it is most convenient for you to exercise.
- Membership rates. Find a quick comparison of membership rates here.
- Programs, services and equipment. The best exercise for you is the one you most enjoy and keep coming back for. Check out each gym's fitness class schedules if you like group activities. If you are a treadmill walker, ask about traffic during times you'll be at the gym to make sure you can use your favorite equipment. And, if you need that little push, ask about incentive programs or personal training.
- Staff. The personal touch makes all the difference. Some clubs have follow-up programs and will call you if they have not seen you in a few weeks. Also pay attention to how the staff interacts with current members.
Step 2 - Test drive the facility
Secret shopping, asking friends or coworkers about the club's reputation, or taking advantage of free passes are all good ways to try the facility before you become a member. You are investing in your health and well-being, so make sure the fitness center is a good fit for you!
Step 3 - Sweat the small stuff
When you visit the facility, notice the little details. Is the temperature comfortable for you? Is all of the equipment in working order? All of these details are what will keep you coming back to the gym.
Remember that this is an investment in yourself and your family. Consider what is most important to you and choose a facility that supports those needs.
Step 4 - Enroll
Once you've decided on a facility, click here for enrollment information.
To increase the security of your information, Duke Fitness Club migrated to a new server in 2019, which has disrupted access for some members of the Duke community. This has not affected your memberships or eligibility to enroll, change or cancel your accounts. Please give us a call at 919-684-3136, option 1, and we will be happy to assist you.