Express classification enables entities to create new positions or reclassify existing positions specified in an agreed upon listing of job classifications. This program expedites the position management process for positions/classifications that meet certain criteria and that are frequently created or reclassified.
Criteria for Jobs Eligible for Express Classification
- Classification must currently be in existence
- Typically part of an established clinical ladder or career pathway with a review ladder committee and/or have specific competency, licensure/certification, and education requirements. (i.e. Pharmacist, Clinical Nurse, Nurse Practitioner).
- Position is in a department that already has incumbents in the classification and has a high volume of activity in the classification.
Supervisory and exempt administrative/managerial classifications are not eligible for express position management.
What the Department Needs to Validate
- Classification is appropriate for function described based on licensure or registrations required for the position
- Classification is already used in organizational unit
- Budgetary approval of position
- Position attributes are correct - Exempt/Non-Exempt, Employee group and subgroup, Personnel Subarea (i.e. PRN)
Additional validations required for reclassifications:
- Approval validates person meets minimum qualifications for new classification
- Appropriate ladder approvals have been obtained (ladder committee, department approval, etc.)
- Timing of reclassifications that include an exemption change cannot be retroactive in order to pay for all hours worked
- Effective date should be the first day of a pay period
After the Classification Process
- Creating new position
- iForm enters SAP as a new position.
- Department may now start the requisition process for job posting.
- Reclassification of a position
- Position enters SAP under a new classification.
- If position is filled, process Rate and Schedule change form for employee in iForms.
- If position is vacant, department may now open a requisition to begin recruiting process.
Adding a Classification to the Express List
To request to add a classification to the current express list, submit the request to R&R for review.
- R&R will discuss the request with operational leadership and, if approved, make necessary changes in SAP for the appropriate company codes.
Lists of Approved Express Classifications by Entity
- Duke University - Central Administration
- Duke University Campus - Provost
- Duke University School of Medicine
- Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Private Diagnostic Clinic
- Duke Clinical Labs (Company Code 26)
- Duke Health Technology Solutions
- DUHS Patient Care Technology Education (Company Code 20)
- Duke HomeCare & Hospice (Company Code 21)
- DUHS Hospitals - DUH (CC 30), DRH (CC 50), and DRAH (CC 60)
- Patient Revenue Management Organization (Company Code 24)
- Duke Primary Care (Company Code 40)
- Davis Ambulatory Surgical Center (Associated Health Systems) (Company Code 51)