The Presidential Awards recognize staff and faculty who have made distinctive contributions to Duke University and Duke University Health System within the past calendar year.
Staff and faculty members will be selected for their outstanding job performance within the past calendar year. One Presidential Award and up to five Meritorious Service Awards will be selected from each of the following job categories*:
- Clerical/Office Support - Staff Specialists, Office Assistants, etc.
- Clinical/Professional - Lab Technicians, Nurses, Coordinators, clinical or professional personnel in a non-managerial capacity
- Service/Maintenance - EVS, Facilities, service positions
- Managerial - Supervisory personnel at level 15 and below (managers, supervisors)
- Executive Leadership - Supervisory personnel at level 16 and higher, faculty, Directors, Assistant Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents (any senior leaders other than the President)
* If it is determined that a nomination is not submitted within the appropriate category, HR will place the nomination within the correct category and inform the nominator of the change.
Nominees must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Permanent, full-time staff or faculty
- Employed in current position for at least one full year
- Free from any Disciplinary Actions for the past five years
- Previous Presidential Award winners are not eligible for nomination. This does not affect previous Meritorious Award winners.
- Nomination packet is not acceptable without an authorized signature.
A nominee's contribution should reflect at least one of the following:
- Overall performance has regularly and consistently exceeded expectations, and has reflected a high level of service, trustworthiness, and respect
- Completion of an especially formidable task for the University and/or Health System
- Work which has resulted in a significant boost in quality, productivity and/or cost savings
- Efforts which have resulted in measurable improvements in patient, student or employee safety
Complete the nomination form and submit it along with letters of support from colleagues and/or other supporting documentation to:
Office of the President
207 Allen Building, Box 90001
Phone: (919) 684-2424
Fax: (919) 684-3050
Completed nominations must be received by 5 p.m., Friday, February 10, 2017.
All accepted nominations will be ceremonially bound and mailed to the nominee with a letter of congratulations. If you have questions, please contact Staff & Family Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 684-9040.
President Brodhead will present each of the five Presidential Award recipients with a Presidential Medallion and a check for $1,000 at a luncheon in April. During the luncheon, he will also present an award and a check for $100 to each of the Meritorious Service Award recipients.
Presidential Award recipients will receive invitations to attend the Founders' Convocation and to serve on the selection committee for the following year's Presidential Awards.
The 2017 Presidential Awards luncheon will be held on Thursday, April 20, 2017 at the JB Duke Hotel, Ballrooms A, B & C. The JB Duke Hotel is located at 230 Science Dr.