The Presidential Awards recognize staff and faculty who have made distinctive contributions to Duke University and Duke University Health System within the last calendar year.
Staff and faculty members will be selected for their outstanding job performance within the last calendar year. One Presidential Award and up to five Meritorious Service Awards will be selected from each of the following job categories*:
- Clerical/Office Support - Staff Specialists, Office Assistants, etc.
- Clinical/Professional - Lab Technicians, Nurses, Coordinators, clinical or professional personnel in a non-managerial capacity
- Service/Maintenance – Environmental Services (EVS), Facilities, service positions
- Managerial - Supervisory personnel at level 15 and below (managers, supervisors)
* If it is determined that a nomination is not submitted within the appropriate category, HR will place the nomination within the correct category and inform the nominator of the change.
Nominees must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Permanent, full-time staff or faculty.
- Employed in current position for at least one full year.
- Free from any disciplinary actions for the last five years.
- Previous Presidential Award winners are not eligible for nomination. This does not affect previous Meritorious Award winners.
- Nomination packet is not acceptable without an authorized signature.
Nominees should exhibit one or more of the following:
- Overall performance has regularly and consistently exceeded expectations and has reflected a high level of service, trustworthiness, and respect.
- Completion of an especially formidable task for the University and/or Health System.
- Work which has resulted in a significant boost in quality, productivity and/or cost savings.
- Efforts which have resulted in measurable improvements in safety.
- Presidential and Meritorious Award recipients and their guests will be invited to a ceremony in the fall.
- Each Presidential Award recipient will be presented with a Presidential Medallion and a check for $1,000.
- Each Meritorious Service Award recipient will be presented with a framed certificate and a check for $250.
- All nominations should be completed via online survey found on the Presidential Award website when nominations are accepted.
- Award recipients will be selected by a committee recommended by the President’s office.
- Nominations will be open from early August to mid-August. Exact dates and deadlines will posted on the Presidential Award website.
- All nominees, including the Presidential Award and Meritorious Award winners, will be notified in September.