Tuition Grant Examples
Only tuition expenses are eligible for reimbursement. If the scholarship is not designated towards tuition and not greater than room, board, and fees then the scholarship has no impact on payment.
Option 1: Paper Applications
- Complete the parent section (page 2) of the Duke University Children's Tuition Grant Program Application, and forward it to the appropriate department at your child's school. The application must be completed for every term and can be submitted up until 90 days after the end of the application semester. Please note, a birth certificate is required for a first-time student. In addition, a marriage certificate is required for a stepchild.
- Please direct your child's school to complete the school section (page 3) and return the completed application by mail to the following address:
Duke University Benefits
705 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27708-0502
OR via email by the school to: email@example.com
Please note: Earlier versions of the application will not be accepted.
Last year, several schools implemented restrictions related to the release of the information requested on the application. However, this information is needed to determine the grant amount. If the school is restricting the provision of the information, it will be your responsibility to provide appropriate documentation (i.e. financial aid/student award notice, awards/aid on school letterhead, registration statement/receipt) via mail or fax (919-681-8774) to Duke Benefits.
Please note that the documentation must specifically identify all financial aid or awards as undesignated or designated for tuition. Any scholarships, grants or other forms of assistance (excluding loans, work study and student or parent payments) that have not been identified will be treated as designated for tuition for purposes of calculating the grant amount.
Questions may be directed to Duke Benefits at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Re-certification of your continued eligibility, your child's enrollment, and the school's tuition, room and board, fees and financial aid costs are required each semester.
Option 2: Online Applications
Please check this list to determine if your child's college/university is participating in the CTG online application process. If your child will be attending one of the schools in the online application process, you will complete the online application that is available under "My Benefits" on Duke@Work and follow the instructions there. If your child's school does not appear in the list below, you must complete a paper application. Applications can be submitted up until 90 days after the end of the application semester.
STEP 1 - Selecting or Creating a Dependent (Student)
If you have previously used the online version of the application for your child, that dependent's name will appear in the "Student Name" section. Click the row with your cursor to select. You can skip to Step 2 and go to Step 3.
If this is the first time you are creating an online application for this child, you must add the dependent by clicking the "Add Dependent" button. Enter your child's First Name, Last Name, and Date of Birth. Middle Name is optional. Click the "Save Dependent" button when finished.
STEP 2 - Tell Us About This Dependent
Select if this student is your natural child, adopted child, stepchild, or dependent of your registered same-sex spousal equivalent. Natural is the default selection, so change if needed. Please note the documentation that is required if your child is adopted or is a stepchild. Continue to Step 3.
STEP 3 - Enter Your Dependent's Student Information
- The academic year defaults to the appropriate year. Please do not change this.
- Select your child's school from the drop-down. You must select it from the drop-down. You cannot type the name of the school in the box. IMPORTANT! The schools are not currently sorted in alphabetical order but by their Duke vendor number. To sort the schools in alphabetical order, click on the "Name" column in the College/University box, and you can sort in ascending or descending order.
- When selecting your school from the drop-down, the school email and contact information auto-populates; do not change the information. If your student previously participated in the CTG program at this school, the Student ID will auto-populate. If this is the first time your student will attend this school, please enter the Student ID you receive from the school.
- Choose the appropriate school term for this student from the drop-down.
- Have you used the CTG program in the past for this student? Select "Yes" or "No." Please note that a copy of the dependent's birth certificate is required if this is the first time using the program for this dependent.
- Let us know if your spouse or registered same-sex spousal equivalent is also a Duke employee. Knowing this can assist us in reviewing eligibility for the program. If you check this box, please enter their DUID. Continue to Step 4.
STEP 4 - Determine Taxability
Currently, the Children's Tuition Grant benefit is not considered taxable income for most eligible participants. However, if your child does not qualify as a dependent in accordance with the Working Families Tax Relief Act (WFTRA), then the benefit will be considered taxable income to you.
Read this section of the application carefully, then click "I certify that my child IS an eligible dependent as defined by WFTRA" for non-taxable OR click "I certify that my child IS NOT an eligible dependent as defined by WFTRA" for taxable. Continue to Step 5.
STEP 5 - Certify You Will Provide Any Information Not Provided by the School
Some schools will only provide tuition, room & board, fees, and financial aid amounts to the parent. In these cases, you must agree to provide this information to Duke.
Check the two boxes in the application to certify you will provide the amounts to Duke.
IMPORTANT! In the certification section of the application, you will see a signature section with your name and date printed. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PRINT AND SIGN THIS FORM. Continue to Step 6.
STEP 6 - Upload Required Documentation in the Attachments Section
If your child's birth certificate, a copy of your marriage certificate, or an adoption certificate are required, upload them in the Attachments section of the form. Follow these steps.
- If you click the "Preview Document" button in the Attachments section, you can see what the school will receive. This is for your information only, and you will not enter anything in the preview document.
- Be sure the documents you will upload contain no spaces or characters in the file name. If they do, please rename them before uploading. Click the "Choose File" button to search for your documents. Note: depending on the browser you are using, the "Choose File" button is either on the right or left of the upload box.
- When you find the document on your computer, click or double-click to select it. When you see the name of the file in the box, click the "Upload" button.
- Your file will appear in the "Attached Documents" box. Note: the term "fakepath" is appended to all uploaded file names. This is by default and does not indicate an error.
- If you upload the wrong document(s), click to select the document from the table, then click the "Remove Selected Files" button. Continue to Step 7.
STEP 7 - Add Comments to the Application for the Duke CTG Processors (Optional)
You can add comments to the Duke CTG Processors in the comment section of the form. The school will not see these comments. They are only visible to the Duke CTG processing team. To access the Comments box, click the "Expand Tray" icon, and when the Comments box opens, type in the box. Continue to Step 8.
STEP 8 - Check the Form for Errors Then Submit Your Form
When you have completed the form, click the "Check" button at the bottom to review for errors. When you click the "Check" button, scroll to the top of the form. If there are no errors, you will see a message "The form data you entered is consistent." If information is missing, you will see an error message(s) at the top. Make your corrections and click "Check" again. Repeat until you have no more errors.
If you have no errors, scroll back to the bottom of the form and click the "Submit" button.
The form may take a few seconds to submit, and then you should see a confirmation screen with a unique note number (you will also receive a confirmation email soon after).
The form is now on its way to the school as an AdobeSign Document. The school will complete its portion of the application and submit the document to Duke. Benefits will review the application and approve it, send it back to you for additional information, or reject it with an explanation.
You can check your application status by logging in to Duke@Work and navigating to the MyInfo tab, then selecting MyBenefits. In the upper right-hand corner of the MyBenefits page, you will find a list of your CTG applications. Click on the link in the "Status" column to view the current status of the application.
Upon receipt of the completed form, Duke Benefits will determine eligibility, calculate the benefit amount, request that the payment be processed and send a confirmation notice to the e-mail address provided on your application. Payment is generally mailed to the school within 10 business days.
Please contact Duke Benefits if you do not receive a confirmation of payment within 14 days of the school submitting your completed application. Reminder - payments for the fall semester will not be disbursed prior to July 1.
PLEASE NOTE: Requests for appeals of benefit payments must be made within 90 days of the payment or within 90 days of the beginning of the semester in which the payment was due. Otherwise, it is assumed that the amount of the payment is accurate.
The University reserves the right at any time to change or terminate this benefit or your eligibility for benefits under the plan.