image courtesy of HealthFitness
Wellness through the Senses
Explore the five senses to reduce stress, enhance resiliency, and promote overall wellbeing.
Adequate nutrition is an important component of any wellness routine. Experts from the LIVE FOR LIFE Nutrition Program are available to guide you through current recommendations for your health needs, including weight loss or gain, weight maintenance, general healthy eating, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes.
Beyond what you eat, how you eat is also important. Eating while being mindful can help to calm your busy mind and puts the focus on the experience of eating. Slowing down can help you appreciate a wider variety of foods and can help you cue in on how different foods can make you feel.
What does it mean to eat mindfully?
- Choosing foods you enjoy that nourish your body
- Using all of your senses to enjoy each bite
- Acknowledging your responses to all foods without judgment
- Being aware of and using physical hunger
- Valuing quality over quantity by choosing energizing foods like vegetables, fruits, nuts, and lean protein
- Learning to identify personal triggers for mindless eating and finding healthy alternatives for cravings
- Feeling deep gratitude that can come from appreciating and experiencing food