image courtesy of HealthFitness
Wellness through the Senses
Explore the five senses to reduce stress, enhance resiliency, and promote overall wellbeing.
Sight can be interpreted literally, as the way we visually take in our surroundings, as well as figuratively in the way that we perceive the world. Visually, surrounding ourselves with images that we enjoy such as photographs of nature, family and friends, or things that remind us of hobbies can help brighten any workspace. When not at work, taking a break from “screen time” by taking a walk to look at the textures, colors, and shapes of nature has been shown to reduce eye strain and improve mood.
- Share your sights and look at others using the hashtag #DukeTimeOff or by checking out the Healthy Duke photo contest
- Sit outside and observe the scenery around you – try the Duke Gardens if you work nearby
- Look at pictures or colors that relax you, or download a coloring mandala
- Visualize yourself performing certain tasks, envision success to increase confidence
- Consider taking advantage of Duke’s PAS program to help develop tactics for working through difficult situations and seeing things from a new perspective
- Take in the scenes of Duke’s campus by exercising outside with a group through the Run/Walk Club