The Duke Mobile Market is a weekly pre-subscription market that brings farm-fresh produce and other goods to convenient pick-up locations across Duke’s main campus. It is a form of "community-supported agriculture" (CSA) that works when a customer pre-purchases a weekly "share" of items from a farm.
Farmers use the term Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) to describe the program where a variety of fruits, vegetables, and other local products are hand-selected, individually boxed, and delivered from the field to the those individuals who have pre-subscribed for the farm share.
Our program connects employees to local farms so you can have weekly boxes of fresh produce delivered conveniently to your home or workplace for pick-up. If you wish to enroll in the Mobile Market program, please follow the Sign-Up instructions listed below.
How to Sign Up for a Mobile Market CSA
Signing up is easy and takes three simple steps:
- Browse our list of participating Mobile Market farmers.
- Once you have found a farm you wish to support, visit their website for a registration form that will include detailed information on how to sign-up.
- Send your payment with your form directly to the farmer or vendor. If you have any questions, call or e-mail the farmer or vendor directly.
What's in a Box?
Joining a CSA is a great way to increase the quantity and variety of fresh, healthy produce you consume each week. Depending on the season and what the farm has in rotation, each week your box will contain a diverse assortment of about 5-8 varieties of vegetables and fruit. You can expect some combination of:
- May - kale, chard, snap peas, lettuce, carrots, salad mix, beets, radishes, salad turnips, broccoli, herbs
- June - squash, cucumbers, beets, carrots, potatoes, salad mix, rainbow chard, kale, green beans, radishes, lettuce, potatoes, salad turnips, onions, garlic, herbs
- July - cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes, squash, eggplant, leeks, green beans, onions, garlic, basil, rainbow chard
- August - tomatoes, okra, eggplants, peppers, garlic, green beans, squash, watermelon, and herbs
- September - peppers, eggplant, okra, carrots, kale, lettuce, chard, radishes, turnips, and herbs
- October and November - peppers, salad mix, beets, kale, sweet potatoes, carrots, Swiss chard, collards, turnips, salad mix, radishes, fennel, cabbage, herbs
Why Choose the Duke Mobile Market?
- PROVIDES reliable and reasonably priced source of diverse, fresh, high-quality, local, and often organic produce to Duke Faculty and Staff
- CONNECTS employees to farmers who bring fresh produce straight from the fields directly to their home
- GIVES growers a guaranteed way to sell what the farm produces at a fair price
- BUILDS local rural community's economy by keeping food purchases close to home
- SUPPORTS traditional North Carolina farmers as they transition to environmentally sustainable and organic production methods
If you have additional questions about the mobile market or if you are interested in the option to establish customized CSA delivery to your home, please contact Danielle Taylor at email@example.com.