Steps to Health is an incentive-based program for individuals at risk for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obesity. A leader works with the participant to set a benchmark goal for lowering blood pressure, lowering total cholesterol, or decreasing body weight.
Any Duke employee who is eligible for full health benefits and who has one or more of the following risk factors:
- Is at risk for high blood pressure (Top above 120 or above, and/or Bottom above 80)
- Is at risk for high blood cholesterol (200 or above)
- Is at risk for obesity (Body Mass Index above 25)
How to Join
Schedule and attend a healthcheck. If you meet the criteria for the program when you are seen at healthcheck, you can enroll in the Steps to Health program. To schedule a healthcheck, call LIVE FOR LIFE at 684-3136 option 1.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set a benchmark goal with my leader?
Your leader will help you choose strategies that will help you reach your benchmark goal. This goal is pre-determined using the following criteria:
- decreased blood pressure (Top below 120 and Bottom below 80; OR, reduced Top and/or bottom by 10 points)
- Decreased blood cholesterol (below 200; OR, reduced by 10%)
- Decreased body weight; (5% weight loss, OR if BMI is above 29, if they have lost 10%)
How much time is required of me to participate in the STH program?
At the beginning and the end of the program, you will attend a 30 minute healthcheck. You will have 3 short, over the phone appointments with your leader, which will each last 10-15 minutes. In addition, you will be given the opportunity for consultations with our fitness specialists, dietitians, and participation in other LIVE FOR LIFE programs. The great majority of your effort in the STH program will be dedicated to reaching your health goals. For example, you may begin a regular exercise routine or spend more time planning healthy meals.
What are the incentives for my participation?
There are three time-points when LIVE FOR LIFE dollars can be earned during the STH program:
- After the initial healthcheck and completion of the initial goal setting appointment with your leader, you will receive $100 LIVE FOR LIFE dollars.
- At 6 months, after reporting an update on your blood pressure, cholesterol, and or weight, and reviewing your goals with your leader, you will receive an additional $100 LIVE FOR LIFE dollars.
- At 12 months, after final healthcheck, reviewing your outcomes with your leader during an over the phone appointment, completing our customer evaluation, you will receive an additional $300 LIVE FOR LIFE dollars.
- At 12 months, if you met your benchmark goal set at the beginning of the program, and also completed the items above, you will receive an additional $800 LIVE FOR LIFE dollars.
All three contacts with your leader are required for successful completion of the program. To ensure that you will not be discontinued from the program, be sure to respond to contacts from your leader at each timepoint. If during any timepoint your leader is unable to contact you through multiple attempts, you will be discontinued from the program.
How can I spend my LIVE FOR LIFE dollars earned during the program, and what can I buy?
LIVE FOR LIFE dollars earned by participation can be used to purchase a variety of items at the LIVE FOR LIFE store. Examples are exercise equipment, DVDs, Books, Clothing, and Massage gift certificates. You can view the items online at the LIVE FOR LIFE Store.
Why would Steps to Health be helpful to me if I've tried changing my lifestyle to be healthier in the past and failed?
At STH we know how hard it is to let go of old familiar habits even when it's clear that they are unhealthy. When changing a behavior, most people try and fail more than once-- relapse is the rule rather than the exception. STH works on the notion that incentivizing improvements can help motivate continued changes.
What is the background of my STH leader?
All STH leaders are licensed dietitians or registered nurses. They are experts in your risk factor(s) and have additional training in health coaching, motivational interviewing, and behavior change strategies.