Round 1: Submit Results Now
Monday, January 6 - Sunday, January 19
Deadline for submitting results: Monday, January 27.
The first step in your wellness and sustainability challenge may not involve any steps at all! A great way to decrease your carbon footprint while adding exercise to your day is biking instead of driving to and from work. According to the EPA, 28.9% of 2017 greenhouse gas emissions came from the transportation sector. Thus, biking instead of taking a bus or car can greatly reduce your personal carbon footprint.
Duke works hard to create a bike-friendly campus, with everything from bike lanes to accessible parking to safety and handling tips. They also provide many benefits for bike commuters, like:
- Increased theft protection for registered bikes.
- Up to 2 free daily parking passes per month for days you need to drive
- Use of the showers in Wilson Center and Brodie Center from opening time to 9:00 p.m., Monday – Friday
- Discounts at local businesses through Duke’s partnership with Bicycle Benefits national incentive program
- Gift cards after tracking a certain number of bike commutes at ShareTheRideNC.org
Think the biking lifestyle might be for you? Get started by registering your commuter bike through Duke Parking & Transportation!