Want a Customized Stair-Stepping Workout Plan?
If you want to personalize your fitness routine with a customized stair-stepping workout plan that focuses on strengthening, form and heart rate, please contact a LIVE FOR LIFE fitness specialist at 684-3136, option 1.
Click here to view sample snapshot of a beginner plan.
For those who are unable to participate due to physical limitations:
1 minute of alternate exercise (swimming, biking, walking, running, strength training) = 10 stair steps
Visit Duke's Showcase "Take the Stairs" Stairwells
Duke supports the U.S. Surgeon General's call to action to increase physical activity across the nation. To encourage employees to take the stairs more often, Duke has outfitted several high-traffic stairwells with motivational signs to encourage stair use:
- Duke Hospital: Main stairwell near patient elevators; Children's Hospital 1914 stairwell
- Duke Raleigh Hospital: Stairwell #3 located in Engineering Hallway; Stairwell G located in G1 parking garage
- Durham Regional Hospital: Stairwell #9, near hospital registration; Stairwell #2 across from Special Services (stair map)
Note: Take the Stairs participants may record stairs climbed on any Take the Stairs, both on and off Duke's campuses.
REGISTER NOW. Once you have registered, open one of the trackers below and begin tracking your steps. Follow the instructions to submit your levels when completed.
- Electronic Logsheet: Self-Paced (Excel Format)*
- Electronic Logsheet: 5Ks to Marathons (Excel Format)*
- Printable Logsheet (PDF Format)*
*Submit to DUMC Box 3200 or fax to 919-684-1852
Earn Prizes for Reaching Each Level
- Register in person at the LIVE FOR LIFE office and receive your personal Take the Stairs logbook or register online for your logbook and guidelines. The LIVE FOR LIFE office is located on the lower level of Duke Clinics (Duke South) in the Red Zone. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (except for noon - 2 p.m. on Wednesdays).
- Start with the one-mile plan (2,000 steps). Each plan level must be completed before moving to the next level.
- Total your daily steps, both up and down. Use the log sheets to help you keep a tally.
- Download a plan if you want to challenge yourself to complete each level within a suggested timeframe.
- As you complete each level, return to the website to record your level. Or, you can send your log to LIVE FOR LIFE:
- Submit paper copies through interoffice mail to: LIVE FOR LIVE, Box 3200
- Deliver paper copies to the LIVE FOR LIFE Office
- Fax your log to LIVE FOR LIFE at 919-684-1852
- Prizes will be mailed to your Duke address. Please allow up to two weeks from the date of your submission to receive your prize. You may choose to receive LIVE FOR LIFE dollars equal in value to the gift for each plan completion.