To see the full policy please visit this web site.

No, but it is strongly encouraged and individual departments/units are permitted to make it mandatory, so employees should check with their department (Note: the School of Medicine mandates that Graduate Medical Education trainees have a travel health review before foreign travel).

Employees should seek guidance from an experienced travel clinician/practitioner. In an effort to aid in the implementation of this policy, Duke has created a new travel clinic within Employee Occupational Health and Wellness (EOHW) which has experienced international travel practitioners on staff and charges "at-cost" rates.

Travelers should plan well in advance as some vaccinations must be taken as a series administered over a period of several months. As soon as a traveler knows he/she will be traveling abroad, they should visit the policy web site and click on the "Travel Questionnaire". Please note: you will need to have your health (e.g., current medications, vaccination record, etc.) and travel records (e.g., passport, itinerary, destination information, etc.) handy when you begin the form as you will be asked questions related to both.

You will be asked for information concerning the type of area you will be visiting (e.g., urban or rural) and the type of work or activity you will be doing at your destination (e.g., conference or research in the field). These questions are used to determine the types of pre- and post-travel health care that you will need. If vaccinations are recommended, you will be directed to complete a "Travel Intake" sheet and to contact EOHW to set up an appointment. The Travel Intake sheet captures minimal but critical health and travel information. Print a copy of your completed form once you are done and bring it with you to your appointment.

If it is a significant change -- destination countries, change in activity at your destination - then it may be beneficial to consult the EOHW travel clinic again to discuss any concerns.

Yes, EOHW travel medical records are separate from other Duke records including personnel.

Bring a printout of your completed Travel Questionnaire, your immunization record, current medications and an Internal Request [IR] form with the applicable fund code for the charge (talk to your departmental business manager for this form).

EOHW will bill costs directly to your department using an Internal Request (IR) form with the applicable department fund code. *Note to Business Managers: please use general ledger account 698700 (foreign travel) on the IR form for this expense.

Duke Insurance plans do not cover/reimburse for travel related office visits or immunizations. EOHW does not have the ability to submit bills to insurance plans.

You are still eligible for services provided by EOHW, and you are encouraged to take advantage of their expertise in health concerns related to international travel. You will be responsible for the costs.

Yes, as a benefit for Duke faculty and staff, EOHW will provide service for an employee's dependents who are accompanying the Duke employee on employment related travel. The employee is responsible for the cost. All eligible dependents are encouraged to fill out the Travel Questionnaire and set up an appointment with EOHW as necessary. EOHW does not have pediatric expertise and cannot attend children under the age of 18.

EOHW will recommend a post-travel visit when the itinerary includes specific locations or activities as identified during the pre-travel health review. This may be important for ensuring your health as well as protecting the health of family and co-workers from any communicable diseases that may have been contracted while abroad. Please contact the EOHW Travel Clinic upon return if you experience any travel related illness.

Please remember to enter your travel with the Duke Travel Registry and print/carry your Duke-ISOS membership card. ISOS is a service that Duke pays for which provides assistance to travelers in the event of an emergency. If you encounter a problem while abroad (e.g., lost passport, injured, detained), the ISOS card offers numbers that you can call for assistance. If a situation arises such as political unrest or natural disaster, Duke activates ISOS to find travelers and get them to safety. However, neither Duke nor ISOS can aid travelers if we do not know they are abroad. Entering your travel plans in the Duke Travel Registry enables us to provide assistance.

If you have travel health questions, we encourage you to call Employee Occupational Health and Wellness (EOHW) at 919-684-3136 (opt 2). If you have policy or implementation questions, please call the Office of Global Strategy and Programs (OGSP), Christy Michels at 919-684-2910.