In response to Duke's COVID-19 management plan, Duke Learning & Organization Development will be offering the following virtual courses online through WebEx. View and download the Fall 2020 Virtual Schedule here. (Technology Schedule here).
Duke offers a number special programs targeted to specific audiences or designed for specific career tracks. Some of these programs are offered through Human Resources, and others are offered through other departments at Duke.
Manager & Leader Development
- Guide to Managing at Duke: a three-day program that prepares and equips managers to meet objectives through effective managerial practices
- Duke Leadership Academy: 12-month development initiative that focuses on leadership and management styles and behaviors to implement strategy
- Duke Management Academy: 12 month program for experienced managers and gifted leaders who want to sharpen their leadership skills
- Front Line Supervisor Program: 9 month program focused on business acumen, people management, project management and selected supervisory competencies for entry-level, front-line supervisors
Career Track Programs
- Foundational Skills Program: 9 month program to prepare service staff for entry-level administrative roles at Duke.
- Financial Certification Program: a career development initiative for employees with financial responsibilities that offers training in different certification tracks.
- Duke ProComm: a professional development program designed for and by Duke communication professionals; includes job skills, manager and leader tracks.
- Research Administration Academy: a certification program for grant managers that reviews research administration principles and provides hands-on grant management training.
- New Staff Orientation: an essential part of the onboarding process that introduces the organization, expectations, benefits, and more to new and transferring employees.
Other Development Programs at Duke
- Employee Development Initiative: a financial program supporting the professional development of employees at Duke University Hospital.
- Toastmasters Clubs at Duke: Duke-affiliated clubs that provide instruction and skill development to help people speak effectively, organize and conduct meetings, and motivate others.
- Employment Best Practices: hiring the best people and managing them well is a key competency of effective managers/supervisors. Discover how to evaluate candidates legally and fairly, and learn the essentials of the recruiting process from planning to on-boarding, ensuring your department’s success.