Register for Course Offerings
Spring and Fall 2021 Courses are here! View and download the Spring and Fall 2021 Professional Development Schedule here.
To serve the Duke community, we are pleased to continue offering and expanding our virtual professional, management, and leadership development opportunities. Learning & Organization Development uses the Cisco WebEx platform for virtual delivery of all instructor-led classes; to download the WebEx Meetings Client Application, click here. To ensure an optimal online learning experience, please ensure that you have access to the following:
- PC or Laptop (Cellphones and tablets provide only limited access to the interactive feedback tools used in our classes and are inadequate.)
- WebEx Meetings Client (download here)
If you are unable to access the hardware/software listed above from work or your remote location, please send us a message to reserve a seat in our computer lab located at 406 Oregon St. Durham, NC. Send all questions and inquiries to email@example.com.
The following offerings require a fee. To provide payment details, please go to http://www.hr.duke.edu/training/chargeback. You will be prompted to provide L&OD with a cost object number (7 digits for Campus and 9 digits for Health System). You may also pay with a personal check, but payment must be received at least 5 days before the scheduled class date.
If you can no longer attend the class, it must be dropped in the LMS at least four business days before the course. Drops after that time must contact L&OD directly to receive credit towards a future offering of the exact course, or forfeit the payment. Remember to also account for any official Duke Holidays, and be careful with transitions from one month to the next when figuring out your last drop day.
Available Classes & Workshops
- Communicating with Diplomacy & Tact I
- July 22, 2021 (1pm – 4pm)
- August 10, 2021 (1pm – 4pm)
- Communicating with Diplomacy & Tact II
- October 4, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Conflict Resolution
- August 18, 2021 (1pm – 4pm)
- December 3, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Critical Thinking
- August 10, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Crucial Accountability (2 days)
- July 28 & 29, 2021 (8:30am – 12:30pm, each day)
- Crucial Conversations (3 days)
- October 13 - 15, 2021 (8:30am – 12:30pm, each day)
- Customer Service Excellence
- July 12, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Fundamentals of Business Writing (2 days)
- November 3 & 4, 2021 (9am – Noon, each day)
- Managing Meetings
- Managing Multiple Priorities
- September 29, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- December 16, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Navigating Challenging Personalities
- August 3, 2021 (1pm – 4pm)
- November 12, 2021 (9am – Noon)
- Personality & Effective Communication
- October 26, 2021 (1pm – 4:30pm)
- Project Management
- Public Speaking (2 days)
- September 13 & 20, 2021 (9am – Noon, each day)
- November 4, 2021 (1pm – 4pm)
For additional workshops covering immigration and visas (Duke Visa Services), environmental sustainability (Sustainable Duke), and online medical searches and more (Medical Center Library), please visit the Other Classes & Workshops webpage.
Individuals with disabilities who anticipate needing reasonable accommodation, or who have questions about physical access, please contact L&OD for assistance prior to your workshop:
919-613-7613 or 919-613-7600
Professional Development Academy
The Professional Development Academy is a center dedicated to providing tailored development programs to foster career growth for targeted employee groups and to support Duke's staffing needs.