Policy Number: 02.02
Issued Date: 07/01/2006
Transfers and promotions provide staff the opportunity for career growth and advancement within Duke. Supervisors are encouraged to consider internal candidates from within their own entity or department as well as from other entities or departments throughout Duke. Those staff who have successfully completed Duke-sponsored education/professional development programs should also be given preferential consideration. Staff must inform their current supervisor of a transfer request before accepting another position at Duke so that the current supervisor and hiring supervisor can discuss staff performance and work background. The hiring supervisor should contact at least two (2) references including the current supervisor.
Expressing an interest in a transfer or promotion within Duke will not adversely affect a staff member’s current employment. There are, however, specific procedures and qualifying periods for staff applying for a transfer or promotion.
- Application Processes & Guidelines
- Reference Checking
- Interim Performance Evaluation
- Giving Notice
- Continuous Service Date & Benefits
The following list details the requirements for staff transfer and promotion:
- Employed as "current," "regular," or "part-time"
- Completed a minimum of six months of successful service in a position before becoming eligible to transfer or be promoted to another position at Duke (exceptions to this six-month requirement may be made by a current supervisor)
- Current performance meets job expectations
- Meets all of the job qualifications for the position
- Has not received formal performance or conduct counseling with a corrective action within the last six months of employment (exceptions to this stipulation may only be made with the approval of the current supervisor, the interviewing supervisor, the entity or department Human Resources representative, and a Staff and Labor Relations representative).
Application Processes & Guidelines
The following list details the requirements for job postings, hirings, and job applications:
- All approved, vacant positions must be posted for a minimum of seven calendar days on the Duke Careers website. The recruitment office electronically posts new vacancies so that all eligible staff may be informed of new job opportunities at Duke.
- Staff must ensure that they meet the competency and experience requirements for the position.
- Staff must develop or update their resume in preparation for the application process.
- Staff applications will remain active in the application system for three months.
- Staff will be considered for positions that appropriately match their skills and interests.
- Staff must inform their current supervisor of a transfer request before accepting another position at Duke so that the current supervisor and hiring supervisor can discuss staff performance and work background.
Staff should use Duke's internal online application to apply for the position. If a staff member does not have access to a computer, he or she should visit Duke HR at 705 Broad St. or their entity recruitment office.
Reference Checking for Transfers or Promotions
Before the final reference check, the staff member is expected to inform his or her current supervisor of the transfer request. Prior to making an employment offer, the hiring supervisor should contact at least two (2) references including the current supervisor. The current supervisor is expected to provide the hiring supervisor with an accurate reference and copy of the latest performance evaluation and pertinent employment-related documentation.
The hiring supervisor may also request a copy of the staff member's department personnel file from the current supervisor. All relevant, substantive documentation in the file relating to the staff member's job performance (including - but not limited to - attendance, current salary, current performance evaluation, letters of commendation, education and development records, and any current formal corrective actions (Family Medical Leave information and documentation should not be included with this request) should be released or provided to the hiring supervisor on a confidential basis.
At the time of transfer, the staff member's department personnel file is sent to the hiring supervisor – even if it is not previously requested.
Interim Performance Evaluation
Staff who are changing supervisors due to a transfer or promotion occurring more than six months into the performance period should receive an up-to-date performance evaluation at the time of transfer. This performance evaluation will be forwarded to the new supervisor to use as a reference in completing the annual performance evaluation.
Giving Notice When Transferring to a Different Position
Please refer to the table below for information concerning Duke's notification guidelines for staff transferring to different positions within Duke.
|Hourly-Paid Staff||Two (2) weeks
(RNs are required to give one month notice.)
|Monthly-Salaried Staff||One (1) month|
Continuous Service Date and Benefits for Staff Who Transfer or are Promoted
A staff member who transfers to another department retains his or her original continuous service date – based upon his or her initial date of hire. The department to which the staff member transfers becomes responsible for accrued and unused PTO-bank or vacation time, sick leave, and holiday time that may be due to the staff member.
If the staff member is transferring from the university to the health system (or vice versa), he or she should review any potential changes that may occur to benefits packages or to the transitioning of time off accruals. Inquiries concerning any such potential changes should be made with the entity or department Human Resources representative or with a Duke Benefits representative.
If the staff member is transferring to a 100% grant- or contract- funded position, he or she should review any potential changes to benefits, reduction-in-force actions, and all other employment related practices with the entity or department Human Resources representative or with the Duke Benefits office.