Step One: Prepare for the Performance Summary
- Review the Performance Planning and Review form, including the Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors.
- Review any documentation obtained during the feedback and coaching stage, such as:
- Results of progress review session(s) to include the Mid-Year Review
- Performance notes (to include Performance Improvement Plan)
- Performance results or statistics related to the Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors
- Inform the Staff Member that the evaluation discussion is upcoming, schedule a date and time (allow at least two weeks lead time), and ask the Staff Member to come to the discussion with notes on accomplishments and development areas. Arrange for the discussion to be held in a private environment and ensure that the discussion time is undisturbed.
- Request that the Staff Member complete the Self-Evaluation and return to the Supervisor at least one week before the evaluation discussion.
Step Two: Record Staff Member's Performance Results
- Note performance results achieved
- Add explanatory notes on performance results.
- Check and confirm that the basis for the determinations of accomplishment is substantiated.
Step Three: Prepare the Performance Summary
- Summarize the Staff Member's strengths in accomplishing Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors.
- Summarize the Staff Member's developmental areas in accomplishing Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors.
Some key points to remember about drafting the performance evaluation summary:
- Be concise, yet descriptive enough to give the next level Supervisor an accurate picture of the strengths, developmental needs and overall effectiveness of the Staff Member.
- Focus on what's important. Some Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors may be more critical and important in terms of the overall purpose and content of the job. The weighting system provides guidance for this purpose.
- Make sure the summary is consistent with the general level of performance accomplishments or effectiveness.
- Base the performance summary on the complete performance period using the samples of work and documentation gathered during the feedback and coaching stage. Evaluate on this year's performance, not previous performance periods.
Step Four: Review the Staff Member's Self-Evaluation
- Review the Self-Evaluation form completed by the Staff Member prior to the evaluation discussion. This will provide insight into the nature of how the discussion may proceed.
Step Five: Record the Overall Rating
- Mark one of the performance level categories provided.
Step Six: Draft the Development Plan
- Identify growth areas and areas of continued development
- Consider additional experience, education or training strategies required and identify alternatives that address development and growth areas.
- List development areas and strategies.
Step Seven: Review Performance Planning and Review form and Overall Rating with Next Level Supervisor
- Meet with the next level Supervisor to review overall rating and justifications.
- If necessary, make revisions before meeting with the Staff Member.