Step One: Prepare Environment
- Ensure that the discussion is held in a space that is private.
- Ensure that the discussion is undisturbed.
- Plan on a minimum of an hour so that a full and rich dialogue can occur.
- Ensure that all the necessary documentation is available and it is organized appropriately.
Step Two: Make Opening Comments
- Explain the purpose for the review and the topics to be covered.
- Put the Staff Member at ease.
- Discuss reasons for reviewing performance such as,
- To understand one another's view of the Staff Member's performance
- To lead to positive changes in performance and reinforce current successful performance.
Step Three: Review the Performance Evaluation with the Staff Member
- Review accomplishments on specific Expected Job Results and Expected Behaviors.
- Review observations and documentation.
- Review effectiveness of the Staff Member's actions.
- Review any Performance Improvement Plans (if necessary)
- Review factors beyond the control of the Staff Member.
- Review Performance Development Plan and accomplishments
- Supervisor should assess the abilities, skills and qualifications of the Staff Member.
- Identify possible career paths or positions.
- Determine plans for obtaining the qualifications or improving skills needed for the desired positions or careers.
- Provide the rationale of the evaluation based on achieved results not expectations.
- Engage the Staff Member in the discussion:
- Seek input and reaction from the Staff Member.
- Discuss differences and perceptions of performance.
- Try to reach consensus.
- Identify areas of agreement and disagreement.
- Allow Staff Member to vent emotions.
Step Four: Begin the Next Performance Cycle
- Conduct the performance planning discussion or schedule a meeting to conduct it later.
Step Five: Conclude the Discussion
- Summarize the discussion and any additional action steps
- Request that the Staff Member sign the Performance Planning and Review form to acknowledge participation in the performance evaluation discussion
- Thank the Staff Member for participating in the discussion and how constructive the discussion was.
- Forward the completed form to the next level Supervisor, provide a copy to the Staff Member and file the original form in the Staff Member's department/unit personnel file.