Risk for Potential Flooding on Campus Remains

 September 14, 2018

TO: Vice Presidents, Vice Provosts, Deans, Directors, Department Heads, and Managers
FROM: Kyle Cavanaugh, Vice President for Administration, Emergency Coordinator
RE: Risk for Potential Flooding on Campus Remains

The most immediate threat for Duke’s main campus going forward is potential flooding from expected rain later today and Saturday.

Rain totals during the next several days are projected to be 6-10 inches, which could lead to moderate flooding in areas. Sustained winds are projected to be 20-30 mph today, with gusts up to 40-45 mph. The combination of heavy rain and wind could still topple trees, so individuals should continue to use extreme caution and avoid walking or parking near tall trees.

Standing water and flooding remain possibilities the next couple days as rivers are not expected to peak until Monday. Motorists should avoid driving through areas of standing water.

Wake County, which includes Duke Raleigh Hospital and several Duke Health clinics, remains under a tornado watch until 5 p.m. A tornado watch means conditions are favorable for the development of a tornado. The tornado watch does not include Duke’s main campus in Durham.

Most operations on campus continue as scheduled. The Duke Marine Lab is closed and has been evacuated. Otherwise, there have only been a few power outages reported in clinics in Wake County and outlying areas.

Officials continue to monitor the weather models and forecasts for the area. The Severe Weather and Emergency Conditions policy remains in effect until 7 a.m. Sunday. A decision will be made and announced in the early afternoon Saturday regarding whether the policy will be extended further.

Individuals should take all precautions during the storm and continue to monitor the DukeALERT website and the Working@Duke Twitter account for the latest information.