1. How can I transfer my balance(s) to Fidelity?
Contact Fidelity at 800-823-0172 for instructions and the necessary paperwork for a plan-to-plan transfer. For a plan-to-plan transfer, you are liquidating funds from one vendor and repurchasing funds at Fidelity. There are no taxes or penalties for this type of transfer. The transaction takes at least 7 business days.
The value of your account at the time of transfer is based on current market value and is subject to any gains or losses.
Provide Fidelity with your Current Vendor Plan Number for the Duke University Faculty and Staff Retirement Plan:
- Fidelity: 82205
- TIAA: NC100800
- VALIC: 03354001 (Group Number)
- Vanguard: 091156
Remember to also change your payroll deduction to redirect future contributions to Fidelity and select investments for future contributions from the new investment lineup. Click here to learn more.
2. What are the advantages of transferring my balances now vs waiting until January?
If you transfer your balances now, you can decide when you would like the transfer to take place. You can also decide which funds to transfer balances to rather than following the pre-determined mapping strategy. Contact Fidelity to request a plan-to-plan transfer.
3. Do I need a spousal waiver for transferring money from one vendor to Fidelity?
For plan-to-plan transfers you do not need a spousal waiver signed.
4. Will there be taxes or penalties if I move my existing balances from Vanguard, TIAA or VALIC to Fidelity?
No, there will be no taxes or penalties to move existing balances from Vanguard, TIAA or VALIC to Fidelity; however, some funds may have restrictions on the amount that can be transferred to Fidelity. Contact your vendor for additional information.