Contact Plan Provider
- Aetna (Duke Select & Duke Basic members)
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC (Blue Care and Duke Options members)
24 Hour Health Advice Line
By calling a health care advice line, faculty and staff can get confidential, up-to-date health information any time of the day or night.
- Duke Select, Duke Basic Members
- Blue Care Members
Duke Select, Duke Basic, Blue Care
Duke offers three HMOs:
- Duke Select - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277. This plan requires participants to use the Duke network of providers. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care. There is no annual deductible.
- Duke Basic - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277. This plan requires participants to use the Duke network of providers. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care. Premiums are lower than Duke Select, but out-of-pocket costs are higher.
- Blue Care (Blue Cross Blue Shield) - available only to employees living in North Carolina. Participants must use a statewide network of providers. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care.
In these HMOs, you may, but are not required to, select a primary care physician (PCP) from a plan's list of network providers. You will pay a flat charge - or co-pay - each time you visit a network provider. Routine, preventive services such as annual physicals, ob/gyn exams, immunizations, and well baby visits are covered under these plans.
Unlike traditional HMOs, with Duke Select, Duke Basic, and Blue Care, you do not need a referral from your PCP to see a network specialist.
Need to Find a Provider?
An online directory of participating medical providers for all medical plans is available here.
Please note: As part of our effort to provide the medical care you and your family need, Duke Select and Duke Basic use a provider network unique to Duke. These two plans are only offered to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with the following numbers — 272, 273, 275, 276, and 277.
To participate in Blue Care, you must reside in North Carolina.
Duke Basic Reimbursement Account Contribution
To help offset the higher out-of-pocket expenses of Duke Basic, all Duke Basic members will receive an annual contribution to a Health Care Reimbursement Account based on the level of coverage selected:
- $200 for Employee
- $300 for Employee/Child
- $400 for Employee/Children
- $400 for Employee/Spouse or Employee
- $500 for Family (includes Spouse)
*Reimbursement account plans are governed by Internal Revenue Code guidelines that limit the reimbursement of either health care expenses or dependent care expenses to a spouse and legal dependents.
Please note: If your spouse is enrolled in a Health Savings Account (HSA), please contact the HRIC at (919) 684-5600 before enrolling in Duke Basic.
Comparing Health Plans
Each medical care plan covers both pharmacy and mental health benefits. Please refer to the Medical Plans Comparison Chart and Questions to Ask for details. All of our medical plans will cover pre-existing conditions or covered services.