Contact Plan Provider
- Aetna (Duke Select & Duke Basic members)
- Blue Cross NC (Blue Care and Duke Options members)
24 Hour Health Advice Line
By calling a health care advice line, faculty and staff can get confidential, up-to-date health information any time of the day or night.
- Duke Select, Duke Basic Members
- Blue Care Members
Blue Care Member Guide: Guide may be requested by calling Duke HR at 919-684-5600 or BlueCross at 877-275-9787.
Duke Select, Duke Basic, Blue Care
Duke offers three HMOs:
- Duke Select - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277. This plan uses a health care provider network unique to Duke. Since this network is unique, we encourage you to carefully review the provider listing here. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care. There is no annual deductible.
- Duke Basic - available only to employees living in ZIP codes beginning with 272, 273, 275, 276 and 277. This plan uses a health care provider network unique to Duke. Since this network is unique, we encourage you to carefully review the provider listing here. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care. Premiums are lower than Duke Select, but out-of-pocket costs are higher. The provider network for Duke Basic is the same as Duke Select.
- Blue Care (Blue Cross NC) - available only to employees living in North Carolina. Participants must use a statewide network of providers. Out-of-network care is only covered for emergency or urgent care.
In these HMOs, you may, but are not required to, select a primary care physician (PCP) from a plan's list of network providers. Unlike traditional HMOs, with Duke Select, Duke Basic, and Blue Care, you do not need a referral from your PCP to see a network specialist.
Need to Find a Provider?
An online directory of participating medical providers by medical plan is available here.
Duke Basic Reimbursement Account Contribution
To help offset the higher out-of-pocket expenses of Duke Basic, Duke Basic members will receive an annual contribution to a Health Care Reimbursement Account based on the level of coverage selected:
- $200 for Employee
- $300 for Employee/Child
- $400 for Employee/Children
- $400 for Employee/Spouse*
- $500 for Family (includes Spouse*)
PLEASE NOTE: Duke will not make additional contributions to the Health Care Reimbursement Account for Duke Basic participants if dependents are added during the year due to a qualifying event such as a birth or marriage. Also, if your spouse is enrolled in a Health Savings Account (HSA), please contact the HR Information Center at (919) 684-5600 before enrolling in Duke Basic.
*Reimbursement account plans are governed by Internal Revenue Code guidelines that limit the reimbursement of either health care expenses or dependent care expenses to a spouse and legal dependents.
Comparing Health Plans
Each medical care plan covers both pharmacy and behavioral health benefits. Please refer to the Medical Plans Comparison Chart for details. All of our medical plans will cover pre-existing conditions or covered services.