The Teamwork Award recognizes groups or teams of staff and faculty who foster cooperation, collaboration and open communication. Eligible teams should be comprised of staff and/or faculty members who have collaborated and worked together on a project or significant effort that advances departmental goals and/or the Duke University and Duke University Health System mission.
Teams nominated should exhibit one or more of the following:
- Works effectively as part of a team to successfully accomplish a task or meet a goal
- Builds effective collaborative relationships across different groups of departments within the organization to define and solve problems or reach agreements on a course of action while considering multiple perspectives
- Creates a team environment that promotes communication, trust, cooperation and respect for differences
- Contributes to a group effort which has a significant impact on departmental goals
- Develops a partnership that seeks input and involvement of those affected by decisions
- Accepts responsibility and accountability in helping to advance departmental goals and the Duke University and Duke University Health System mission
- Places team goals above personal goals while achieving a distinctive result or product
Teams are in general more than one, but fewer than ten people. The membership can constitute an entire department and may be cross-unit.
Nominations may be made by staff or faculty members at any level but need to be approved by the team leader's department head. Nomination forms may be downloaded (PDF) or are available from the Staff and Family Programs office, 705 Broad Street. Award recipients will be selected by a committee appointed by the Assistant Vice President for Work Environment in Human Resources. Nominations will be accepted until September 15, 2017.
Winning nominations will be bound with a letter of congratulations. Copies of all other nominations will be mailed to the nominee with a letter of congratulations.
Members of the winning team(s) receive a plaque and their choice of a team event not to exceed $1,000. Awards are presented by the President and Chancellor at a luncheon in November in the Doris Duke Center of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens.